There is the way we have
of always
wringing out the sponge
before setting it back
on the side of the sink
one hard squeeze
to give it a fair chance
to dry out
by morning
that is tonight
when I cannot sleep
too soaked still
with ordinary sorrows
a little bad news from the doctor
it will not kill you
but won't get better
no more headstands in yoga
I did love to fly
my friend
in her bright red sweater
our kids playing so nicely upstairs
telling me about her husband's
third cancer
over tea
and I gave away the little
silver acorn
that was in my change purse
for years
somewhere tonight out shopping
with friends
godspeed
old friend
I will miss you
Out of bed and
down the stairs
to the back kitchen door
all late, dark, quiet
I finish the task
Wring it out
one hard squeeze
the cat perplexed
a chance for morning.
1 comment:
The cat acts perplexed. But the cat knows everything.
Post a Comment