Monday, December 29, 2008

Cooking Lessons

If it was up to
me to prepare
your heart
this is what I would do
pound and grind it between
two good granite rocks until
the fibers bend, stretch, loosen, relax
then roll it in the earth
many kinds of earth
black early spring field soil
dry summer dirt road
leading to
somewhere gorgeous soil
and sandy soil that tells you
the coast is near
then
I would stew it
in a rich hot broth
with baby onions, fennel,
maybe a curry
cardamon too and then
soak it in an old creamy
porcelain bowl
filled with
a huge red wine and then finally
rinse it
in a January seawater and then
after all of that

give it back to you

seasoned.

1 comment:

Ty said...

Oddly maternal and simultaneously erotic. I feel like Jocasta's boy. And will bring disaster and shame upon my city and family.