Saturday, December 27, 2008

Prescription

Sometimes I think you
need to find a magical way to
start to
forgive
yourself you are
so fundamentally really
bad at it and I
often
struggle
one to get you to understand
this is something you
must do
and two to even begin to get you started
you are like a cheap
roll of packing tape
in that way
pick, pick, pick
and even then
for all that work
just a long skinny strip good
for not too much
this is what I think
you ought
to try

stop here and
hear this

the gentle descending cascade
of someone
running their fingers
over a harp
played right into your ears
with eyes closed
on very soft headphones
then
maybe
the soft high held
note of a flute and then the
cool hand
of someone you love
cupped to your forehead
as if
checking for fever

that is the first step
the rest will follow
try that
this time.

1 comment:

Ty said...

Interesting convergence. I also wrote a prescription for dear friend today:

1) Take a break for perspective.

2) Read this book, Foreskin's Lament by Shalom Auslander [here]

We're doing it now. We are synced and are doing this thing.