Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Party

The one thing
I remember most
from this evening's
holiday neighborhood open house
at our house
crockpot wine beer and
mulled cider
sugar cookies

not all our dear friends
or the bunch of kids upstairs
last I looked
all undressed
except for mismatched socks
and up to something
I don't want to know
their skin glowing
cheeks flushed
just close the door
I never saw it

it was
the quiet husband
of my friend
look at your wife
I said
her, sitting there, having
decorated herself
with things from the tree
and a santa hat
conversing
as if nothing had happened

I expected his smile
but he hesitated
away somewhere
then said
in his gentle way
that's when I knew
back in college
friends for a year
I knocked at the door
to the party
she answered
wearing a Santa hat
with a giant
flashing pom pom
on the end
I could not speak
she waited
finally punched me
in the arm
and I knew
she was it

later helping
them to leave
tired kids' clothes
still missing
take the half-bottle left
of the red
I saw him
see her
again

not the good food
or dessert
or even pacing
companionable mix
well-behaved kids
good music
Pats winning
neighborliness
holiday cheer
easy conversation
or amazingly quick cleanup
no
it was just
that one thing
that made this

a great party.

5 comments:

Rich said...

I just learned last week that the correct spelling is "pom pon".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pom-pon

Ty said...

True with regards to "pom pon." Marnie was a cheerleader. A gentleman has to know his cheer-implements.

But, more to the point, I though BSD was writing "porn porn." So I was THRILLED!

I thought this "party" was gonna get all swappy like The Ice Storm.

I kept reading and waiting to find out who pulled whose key from the basket.

I was all hot and bothered....

I real letdown, Betsy.

D- for letdown. Just calling it as I saw it. Yikes! Don't get all mad at me.

Rich said...

SHOW US YOUR TITS!

Rich said...

Me too.

Ty said...

I put the vomit in a Mason jar to open on significant anniversaries.