Doris "DD" Geoffrey
married Phil Derrico
in 1958.
You can't know
your seagoing ways
you can't
you can't know them at all.
I put in
at a likely spot
with a mossy mouth opening to
dark water and brown-edged
blossoms dripping from the
overhanging trees moving and
proving
there's some current here
how can I know
which tributary I chose if I will
come finally
to a delta
the opening
the shiny sea
of which
I know we know
we dream
or instead
narrow and
dwindle and dry up
in a sandy plain
with no trace
that I was here at all?
I cannot live
without water
without swells
without lapping
can you
did Doris
did Phil?
have to leave
this wooden old canoe
in a swampy
and then just muddy woods
with the twigs snapping
and biting
and hurting
our bare feet
and live as pure
land mammals
and live like
the damned.
No comments:
Post a Comment