Thursday, January 1, 2009

Hard Times

I'm not there
you see
to do the things that should be done

a chicken soup, from scratch
for your dinner
and your breakfast
as you sometimes
like to do
perhaps a pie to follow
if you have the appetite
sit across the room
looking busy
with my book
though in fact
I would just be very quietly
and secretly
radiating my warmest self
at you
if there are dishes to be done
they'd be done
and you might not notice
the sweet smell of something
I rubbed on your pillowcase
to infuse you
with comfort
as you dream

be with you
leave you be
both together
as you need

There I am.

1 comment:

Ty said...

be with you
leave you be
both together
as you need


Last night I dreamed of my long-deceased grandmother. I call these dreams "visits" and I love them.

She looked great and I told her so. I cried telling Anne this morning, you know with that hard lump in your throat that feels so odd.