It was time
to pack up
and put away
the old house
and all its rooms. I saved
what I could
from the
secret pantry
that I found
a few pretty old jars
a large brown bottle
for keeping ale
some iron implements
for what purpose
I didn't know
and the lone jar of
ancient greenbeans
the only
possible nourishment
of the lot
I let it go
not willing
to risk it
but I did first
hold it up to the window
and admire the light through it
like a pale watery green gem
and thought with fondness
of all the care
of the growing
and the saving
that went into it
some nameless woman
picking fast
under an August sky
so long ago
thunderheads piling up
crickets louder
filling her basket
and looking forward to
the satisfaction
of canning in her kitchen
for the afternoon
with the storm come
and rain beating the roof
and spilling down the gutters
humming to herself
busy with the
task at hand
and contented
to be
inside.
No comments:
Post a Comment