Tuesday, January 6, 2009

3:12

Nothing at all
tries my patience so much
as having
to be patient.
I wait
for you to catch up.
I wait
for the moment
you wake up
and stay awake.
I wait
for you
to remember.

Once,
when I was twelve
I was waist deep in the lake.
I went under
and held my breath
as long
as I could.
3:12
by my brother's
Timex waterproof watch.
My best effort
but that
was not
patience.

Its still
the same old thing.
Right now, I am burning down
Christmas, and right now
I am just having
to do this.

Good things come to those who wait.
The early bird gets the worm.
Just breathe.
Carpe diem.

I can make no sense of this advice.

Nothing makes me so empty
as a cold, windy,
sunny
day
from a white-painted room and
nothing makes me so lonely
as a certain music
in an ugly blue-carpeted room
in winter
with the icicles dripping.

I have to run to it.
I have to have
the first warm spring breeze
on my skin and
I have to sink my fingers
in the dirt
planting things
dirt up under my nails, in the creases
in the pores where
it won't likely wash clean
I have to plant things
and push on them hard
to tuck them in
then
the lovely waiting
the unpatient waiting
to see what grows
to see what comes next
that
is the thing that
I can do.

12 comments:

Rich said...

I call bullshit.

Ty said...

Hummm. Interestingly erotic, actually.

Lyrical. Visceral.

Ty said...

I question what Rich is calling bullshit on though. I kind of agree that you don't hate winter as much as you believe. But you appreciate it as the opposite of summer.

It's the dark energy that you cannot do without.

Rich said...

I was just calling bullshit on holding your breath for 3:12. Didn't happen. Didn't come close.

Ty said...

TOTAL bullshit! You ain't David Blaine. Hippie kids can never tell time.

Rich said...

Hippie kids can never tell time. Ain't that the truth?

Ty said...

It's soooo true.

"Uh, that was, uhhhh, like three hours and twelve minutes, dude. you're a frickken fish!"

Ty said...

Hummm. Interestingly exotic, actually.

Lyrical. Visceral.

Rich said...

It doesn't matter what kind of watch your brother used. I'm not questioning the competence of the time piece. I'm questioning the competence of the author.

If you really believe you held your breath for 3:12, do yourself this little favor. Hold your breath right now and time it. You don't get anywhere near a minute. You don't even have to admit it to me when you fail.

And if you have issue with the content of the comments section let me remind you than any decent publication has a fact-checking department.

Total bullshit.

Liar.

Ty said...

If you've ever lived somewhere as a child, moved, then return to see it as an adult.... Or your elementary school.... Or Disneyland....

You feel like a giant as an adult when everything was so big.

Our childhood memories are generally seen through the magnifying lenses of our minds.

We tend to over-romanticize, over-dramatize, and over-exaggerate our childhoods. It's natural.

While I would never call you a liar--I reserve that term for presidents and clergy--I would give you 1:30 max.

Hippie kids can't tie shoes either.

Rich said...

Oh, so this is all FICTION now, huh? Coward.

Ty said...

"People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids?...It’s just not right. It’s not right. It’s not, it’s not going to change anything. We’ll, we’ll get our justice....Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, we’re all stuck here for a while. Let’s try to work it out. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to work it out."

- RK, 1992