night I slip out
from between the sheets and go
out to the backyard
and dig a shallow grave. I lay
Resistance
down in it
and cover her up
patting down the gritty dirt over her
face, eyes, mouth, belly. The dew on the grass makes a mud
on me and I can see the little
mound of her feet
by the starlight. The stars are moving.
Back to bed. Surrender
curls up beside me
nestles her face in the curve of my neck
breath like a moth
on my skin, in my ear
intertwines her fingers with mine
presses the soles of her feet
to my legs.
The Truth watches us both
from a dark chair in the corner of the room
gets up, walks heavy-footed
into the bathroom
and has a smoke with the lights off.
Morning comes with a breeze
bright white light
reflecting off the paint
and a luff of the curtains. I have
no memory
only the evidence
of the dry dirt and grass collected
by my feet
at the foot of my bed
and a vague recollection
of a dream
in which I tended some piece
of my heart
stored in a battered aluminum milk vessel
pressed into the coals
of a small fire
to keep it warm
and alive
high up in the Andes
with the wind whistling
waiting
just me
and the goats for company.
1 comment:
this is absolutely stunning in it's use of imagery. I loved reading it, and have bookmarked it so I can enjoy it when I want to read it again.
Sandi Crane
Post a Comment