Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Untitled

I give you
a flower. You
take it. You
put it in a vase. You
she loves me, she loves me
not. You smell it. You
take
a picture of it. You think
its beautiful
and put it
in the
pages of your favorite book
and keep it
and find it
when you're old. You
discover that it is
edible
and you eat it
in a salad
and marvel
at being wild like that. You
take it
and drag it slowly
up my leg
my inner thigh
along the line of my cheek, my jaw, a flower a
feather to my lips. You
put a flower
on my grave
when I'm dead.
I water my flowers. I hope
they take root
I hope
they flower. I hope
they come back
after
a long winter. I
hope they last. I know
they're beautiful. I am
never over flowers. I give you
the substance
in the packet
that keeps flowers
alive
for longer
than anyone thought
possible
and everyone says
they're beautiful
and they're beautiful I finally
fall asleep
to the sound of
night flowers
bursting open
this once a year
their perfume
everywhere
their perfume
in my neck, my hair, you
inhale you are
drunk with
flowers and with
me and I am
never over flowers I am
never over I am
never over you I am
blooming I am
full I am
dripping petals and
drops of dew I am
adorning you
I am
full bloom
you are
in my hair I am
a scent
that makes
you close your eyes and
breathe in
how drunk
we are how
never over
how complex, and simple how
loved and
not noticed how
encouraged and gardened and tended and
grown and how
in drought, and desert, and how
flowers smell, and perfume
the very air
and how it
makes everyone
happy that there are flowers and that we once
threw flowers under
the feet of
horses as
men went to battle and how we use
flowers to say I am
sorry and I
miss you and I love
you and I am
drunk and beautiful I am
flowering I am
behind your ear I am
in your hair and
in your fingers and in
the end I am
she loves me I am
yours I am
wild on the vine I am
in a jelly jar
at home
where I
wake up to a
flower on my pillow from
you
saying I will
be right back I can't
wait
to tell you
how beautiful
this morning was I
picked you
a flower I will

be right back.