My hand
has a perpetual
tremor and there is no record
of cadaver
of lecture and training
of knowing this, doing this, teaching this
in my background.
The Filipino scrub nurse
knows it
gives me inscrutable stare
behind her mask
glare of operating lights
opaquing her judgement, her eyes.
I'm your surgeon
and you are prepped and draped
laid before me
under
somewhere in the vapor. How you came
to be
sprayed with buckshot
is unknown to me
not in the record
not witnessed by anyone in this room. You'll
keep that mystery.
I excise you
bit by bit. I am
unqualified and the room
is silent what would they
love to say?
I have done
the best I could and
we have
both survived.
In the cold, and hush
I untie
my mask, my gown, remove
my gloves
and touch each one of your
wounds, then
climb up onto the table
beside you
and kiss
each place, with my mouth
my lips
to your broken skin
and whisper to you
with my hands
in your hair
This was mine to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment