We both walk out the
back door with a screen door
bang
first you
then me
you out here
to chop the wood
and me to do
I don't know what.
You begin
with earnest intention
and I wander
on the grass
looking at the first of
the yellow needles
brought down from the pines
by last night's storm.
This massive old pile will
take you all day to split
and you will only see
that one thing
to do with it. I consider
educating you
and don't
you will
or won't
come to it
in your own time
punky soft wood
good for breaking gently
in your hands
to make homes for
ants and salamanders
and the like
hard dry wood
for lighting
and setting on fire
and for the act of burning
and for heat
and also warmth
green wood
good for nothing
except patience
to become something else
or just for whittling down
into nothing
a long examination
of its character
and properties
the heart of it
beyond the meat of it
our little project
will take us the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment