Monday, April 13, 2009

Untitled

Later in the day its
so pleasant to stand
on the grass that I've just mowed
and take in the afternoon
the far low mountains
the sweet smell of ruined vegetation
commingled so nicely
with the warm and humid and fertile scent
of the lake
we are at our full heights
pleasing ourselves by looking far out
across the water
I see what you don't
two heads in the water
now one
I don't stop to think if I am right
or certain
ring the bell
I yell to you
running the length of the dock
in three strides
ring it!
and I am taking off and throwing off
everything except my
black underwear and bra
and I would dive were it not
so shallow
so a hand down
and a hop in
and three more strides
before a dolphin dive beginning
my sloppy crawl
would the boat have been faster?
you raise your arm
and begin to ring
the silver schoolhouse bell
I showed it to you yesterday
on the mantle
and you knew where to find it
you did not
stop to ask
and you don't
ask now
and somehow this
may save us
I cannot explain
or look back
to see how you are doing
I have to do this
and hope the neighbors dotting the shore
remember this old code
in this remote place
one to bring the boat
one to bring the warm blankets
one to swim out
and help me
you're a part of it
or just roped in
either way
this is
sometimes
what happens

I go on
hoping
neither above or below
finding the air
only by feel
no time to waste
and the sound of you
ringing
and ringing
and ringing
in my ears.

No comments: