Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Untitled

The phone rings
in the dark
and it is raining outside
taking the last of the snow
off the curb

I'm given the news
downstairs
in the orange chair
not having bothered to
turn the lights on
not wanting to wake you all

so
this is it

I come up
and whisper it to you
we're warm
and sighing
and so
this is it

I shower and dress
very quietly
running the shower curtain rings across
as slowly as I can
keeping the fan on
for soundscreen
and in my mind run scenarios, plans, images
to prepare
comfortable and washable clothes
and running shoes
and layers
for this day
and what's to come

I am quiet
and contained
and bracing
and preparing

and then I hear
you downstairs
the click-click-click
of the stove
and I know

you are up
and heating water
to make my coffee
for the travel mug
for my journey
into it

that one sound
and I understand

I'm not up here
alone.

1 comment:

Ty said...

[heavy sigh]

Wow!