Saturday, March 7, 2009

Two Things

In this exact moment
looking at a brown wall
running the treadmill
at 10:01am
at the Sheraton
fitness room
in Portsmouth
New Hampshire
22 minutes
2.15 miles
and 159 calories burned
into this thing

there are two things
I am thinking of
that I love

the way it feels
to walk the length of a moving train
in the opposite direction
from the way its going
so much so
I bet even people
with treatment-resistant depression
would feel good
doing that
just for that moment

and the way it feels
to cut a ripe mango
in just the right size wedge
and eat it with nothing
but my own hands
and mouth
juice running everywhere
and who cares

two things
that I did
and loved
on that treadmill
that no one could see
but now explain
why I am smiling at the guy in the lobby
and the kids on the elevator
and the lady with the cleaning cart
in just this way.

No comments: