Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Untitled

I wake up on time in the morning, I put the kids on the bus, I get immediately back in bed and sleep for hours. I dream the whole time; when I wake, I'm three minutes away from being late. No time at all. I scribble out the words from the dream to look up later in the dream dictionary:

shrimp
clogged drain
crawlspace
wood shavings
boiling water
resuscitate
kangaroo

Later, in the middle of a meeting, I recover a part of the dream in total clarity: I was in this same room. The light coming through the windows was just the same. The tiled floor was the same. I was hovering over a living but unconscious body, I know what to do, I know I'm not totally supposed to do it, but I know in my heart its the right thing to do. I give my Subaru keys to someone in the crowd, the blue one, blue bag, runrunrun. And when they get back with the blue bag I draw up a syringe of Narcan and just as I am focusing with all my might on getting the needle in exactly right here

I wake up. And its like that all week. I go back to sleep. I dream and dream. Towards the end, I am resuscitating someone, somewhere. And I wake up, never knowing if I was successful or not.


1 comment:

Ty said...

I almost can't wait to die so you can help me.

But that's a million years off.