Sunday, March 4, 2012

Untitled

One day,
I will come to visit you again. You will have
a rolled up washcloth
or actual therapy soft carrots
inserted in your palms
to prevent pain and slow the progression
of your contracting hands
and to keep your nails from cutting your palms. Will
you know me? I will adjust your
washcloths, your hand carrots, I
will remember your fingers going
lightly over the guitar, and what it was like to listen,
not knowing if that sound you made was what you intended
what you heard inside
and tried to make come out. I will kiss your cheek. I will
run a washcloth under hot water
and clean your eyes, wiping from the corners outwards, then down
your same eyes, and smile lines, your same you. I'll
give you a sip, and tell you swallow, swallow, while running one finger
under your chin and down your throat
to cue you. I'll say it in the same tone I used to give you
advice in, when I thought I knew better than you. If she loves you
and you know she's not it for you
let her go. Get a physical. Get one every year. Juice is better than plain
water, if you've been
vomiting a lot. Start with that.
I'll arrange your hair, your sheets and quilt. I'll talk to you
just the same and tell you
at some point
that you're an asshole
and you make me furious. I will
delight in your company. Here, a little vaseline for your lips. I will
whisper a few sweet things in your ear
good man, good-hearted soul. You are loved.
I'll always visit. I'll always come.
I'll tend you some, and then sit, and hold your hand, and
rub it gently with my thumb
and tell you stories. True ones and old ones
and ideas I have that you'd have said about once

that is absurd,
that'll never happen.

No comments: