where I left off. Where you had asked me, hated
question, what are you reading? Where I was
when a sudden breeze lifted and blew all the curtains, the ones in the
bathroom too, just next to the toilet, where you sat, where
you had to catch them, and pin them shut with your fingers
so that the neighbors wouldn't see.
I found the page, and I had more than one choice
of method. Without bookmark, I could have let
the book fall open
to its natural spinal crease, its
memory of me, bending it back
to flatten the pages. My
I was here. I could have remembered
page seventy-eight, or remembered a certain thickness, skimmed through until
finding unfamiliar words.
I found the page where I left off, and you
came to bed. It was enough to open to it
while listening to the sighs of the maple trees
the irregular little scrape of the drawn shade against the windowsill
that might or might not make it
hard for me to fall asleep. It was enough
to find page seventy-eight, the page-facing-page
juxtaposition of what I remembered from before, and
the utterly unknowable to come, except perhaps
your habit of raising the shade a few inches
in any steady amount of breeze
it was enough
that we got there.
2 comments:
Right where you left off.
no kidding! I wish I had returned in a storm of increased ability and talent - but right where I left off will do.
Post a Comment