My pushpin goes here on
the map of your death
to this point, to what I want to
remember of it
the wind, the breeze, the
hazy sunlight and the feeling
in my temples of looking out into the woods
sitting beside you
you, going out, coming in, coming back
you, reaching across the sheet for my hand
which I did not expect
you, with your surprisingly cold hand
you, saying, I'm ready
and nothing more
all the brown and heavy oak leaves
more than falling, more than raining down
blown down, made to come down
from so high
from so much another place to here
the journey so fast, so quickly done
some skittering dry and light through the wide and
open door
there isn't any word
for how they sailed, slid, and sounded, so light!
from the trees out there
to the room, in here
where you were and weren't
it was Halloween
it was unusually warm, and humid
like spring, in fall
and the high voices of your children
and my children
finding and excited
out walking in the woods and
unmindful of us, or this moment
like the outside
breeze and leaves
carrying to us.
1 comment:
Dang. That brings last night's dream-memories back.
My estranged father, dead mother, and dead uncle all came to my funeral.
I was "in a room" that I could see out and fully observe everything. I suppose that was my casket.
Weird thing is, I wanted to tell my now elderly father that it was all OK yet...I still wanted to somehow avoid all the hubbub.
Word Verification: Jakle
Thanks, BSD!
Post a Comment