Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Untitled

I think its
untrue and worse when you
say things like

there are no second chances and

I tell you
I have to tell you
I don't bother to tell you

that you're wrong

I say things like

everything is better
on the ground
I love the ground

my feet were on the ground
on the sidewalk
in the round-bulb light at night
outside that old theater
one foot back
the other leaning forward
to kiss your lip
which was salty from popcorn
and mine sweet
from pink lemonade
I put one arm
around your neck
when I kissed you
which is funny for a girl to do

later and only once
you turned me towards you
when we were lying
on the ground
by placing a palm
at the smooth of my hip
and pulling
and I turned

the ground was a chance
I love the ground

I love the two chances
that happened on the ground

I will bury you in the ground
I will sprinkle you
on the ground
I will predecease you
and turn into the ground

that was your second chance
to stop saying things
about second chances
anymore.

3 comments:

Johnny said...

amen

Ty said...

Whew. Where to start?

To be honest, I wasn't ready for this. I've read it several times. I know...

Second chances, huh? None?

No mulligan? No do-over? No learning from our mistakes?

Dang!

Anonymous said...

Learn from mistakes, yes. Forgiveness and redemption, yes.

Chances are chances. You say yes to them or no to them. The rest is just what happens next, then.