Sunday, June 7, 2009

Process-y Question

or poll, maybe.

I can't predict for sure, but whatever this is I've been digging out for the past year is coming loose. There's a big hole all around it, dirt piled high, and now I'm scooping with my hands around the sides to get in closer and deeper. Past the thick middle part, narrowing now. It starts to give a little in the earth if I give it a good hard shake. I think by the fall I might have it dug out. Maybe.

I have the feeling that I'd like to pull the best parts of the digging thus far together in a small skinny book later this year. How to choose? A vote for the favorites by the readership, all five of you (but treasured five, of course) for a first cut, with final say from me? Make my own initial cut and then put the choices out for comment on inclusion/exclusion to the readership? Go it entirely without input? And since every single thing here is total first and often rough draft, reworking/editing/polishing or leave all as is?

3 comments:

Matt said...

It would be awesome if you put a little book together.

You've got a lot of great poems to choose from. I would be happy to give you a list of my favorites, but I could see you perhaps wanting to pick them out yourself, especially if you have a theme in mind. I think it would be good to polish up the poems you select (to make them even shinier).

Ty said...

I'm torn, BSD. While I'd love to do what I do best--facilitate/produce you--I'm also a huge fan. So it's almost like I'd delight in the surprise of the skinny book being of you arc, your mind, and your FEELINGS. But I'd also love to offer input since that's what I do.

Let's make this hard for all of us: do it all by yourself sans the crutch of editorial board. Do it so not one of your fans can predict how this becomes cohesive. Do it by yourself since any other way is a cop out.

Rich said...

I'm with the chorus on this one. Pick them yourself. Then edit, edit, edit.

Word verification: retion